Ready or not, here I come!

Have you ever worked with someone who just can't say no?

Well, that's me.

My co-workers tell me I'm approachable, funny, and kind.  They say I'm good at technology.  People have been coming to me with questions about technology for years.  I've always helped because, well, why not?  

I grew up in the '90s. My Christmas gift from my parents when I was in 9th grade was a brand new, bright blue, typewriter.  I LOVED IT.  I wrote letters and stories.  I typed just to type.  Then, when I was a sophomore, they bought a Tandy 1000.  Holy moly was I hooked.  I never really got into video games, but I loved to figure out all the ways I could type documents and make the font fancy.  I typed every school assignment I could.  When I printed them, I tore off the sides of the continuous feed paper (does anyone remember that stuff?) and braided it into bracelets.

But during this whole time, I also loved to draw, paint, papercraft, quilt, cross-stitch, and collage.  I wanted to be outside in nature.  I didn't watch a lot of television (mostly because my parents forbade it).  I will be the first to admit that I am an interesting individual.

Growing up this way is probably why my husband calls me a "technology skeptic."   Sure, you could do this online, but do you have to??  Every job uses some form of technology.  But, not every job uses online technology.  If a child cannot write neatly, doesn't it make sense to try a pencil grip before immediately throwing a computer in front of them?  When they are having trouble reading, wouldn't you try an index card, a form of tachistoscope, to keep their eyes focused?

Now, I am going to be a technology coach.  My job is to help my colleagues with technology integration in their curricula and classrooms.  

Before I even begin the job I already have a couple personal goals.
  • Be patient and approachable.  No one should fear technology.
  • Look for low- and medium-tech solutions before immediately jumping to high-tech.
  • Even though I am not in the classroom, I want to make sure I am making a difference in as many children's lives as possible.  I don't want to forget the original reason I became a teacher.
  • Be present, at work, and at home.  I have a very hard time pulling myself away from work.  Although I want to be the best I can be as an educator, I need to be present with my little Nudge (girl child, age 7) and N00b (boy child, age 6), as well as my husband (man-child, age 40).  




Comments