The Whirlwind

I can officially say I have survived the first full week of being a Tech Coach.  

Boy, am I tired!


2nd Graders try out their Chromebooks!
The first week was a true whirlwind!  I was putting out a lot of fires and fixing with band-aides. I started the week with a fancy digital calendar filled with appointment slots.  I quickly realized that I could keep the fancy slots for those people who were tech-savvy enough to get online and sign up, but just being in the hallways and talking to people face-to-face was the best way to get my time filled up.  My first goal for this position is to build relationships so that even people who aren't comfortable with technology can feel confident enough to ask me for help.  I've already had a bunch of people who would have never asked for help before, approach me for assistance.  I even had one person follow me into the bathroom and talk to me through the stall door!  Now that is dedication!

Looking ahead, I'm going to be more realistic in what I can possibly get done.  I'd love to help everyone, but it's just not possible.  I've known this for a long time, but it's really starting to sink in!








This evening I decided to pull out my work computer and cell and check in with my upcoming week.  Pretty standard stuff for me.  I am a planner and I like to know what I'm walking into on a Monday morning.  My calendar seemed relatively open.  I would be able to get into some classrooms of people who invited me and research some new ideas for people who asked me for insight...  Then my phone rang.  Boom!  I've got another appointment.  What was that?  Text message...  another appointment on the books.  And then I opened my email... Holy smokes I've got a few more appointments, now!

I guess Sunday evenings are a good time to make appointments with the Tech Coach! Ha!

So now my calendar is filling up.  Some things will get put on the back burner, again.  But you know what?  That's okay!  I'm going to keep on keeping on.  I'm going to help people the best I can.

So, I guess as I head into the next week of school I'm going to have to remember the advice my husband gave me, "It's a marathon, not a sprint."  I need to pace myself!  It's not the number of people I help, it's the quality of help I give.  And maybe, just maybe, I might have to say "no."

But we'll see 😉








Comments